Thursday, December 01, 2005

It's the cliches that cause the trouble.

Rarely do I thouroughly enjoy reading the texts assigned to me in my British Literature class. I mean, I love to read, of course. But who likes to analyze text to figure out what it's really about? Okay, so maybe those smart people in my class do...Those five students who always have a theory about a poem or a short story, who actually disagree with the professor, who actually understand everything. How I wish I were one of those people. Then maybe I wouldn't be so scared about my 7 - 10 page paper due this Tuesday.

But anyway, I have finally found a piece of writing in this class that I really love, and of course it's our very last reading assignment before the final. Go figure. It's called Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson. It is brilliant! The narrator of the story has no name or gender, and it's beloved is a married woman. The story is all about stripping love of all the cliches, categories, and stereotypes that are often placed on it. I am totally in love with this novel!

Written on the Body quotes:

Why do human beings need answers? Partly I suppose because without one, almost any one, the question itself soon sounds silly.

Sometimes the best company is your own.

You never give away your heart; you lend it from time to time. If it were not so how could we take it back without asking?

I wasn’t happy but the power of memory is such that it can lift reality for a time. Or is memory the more real place?

She’s a nice girl, he’s a nice boy. It’s the clichés that cause the trouble.

It seems that due to the peculiarities of the event horizon we could watch history pass and never become history ourselves.

Why is the mind incapable of deciding its own subject matter? Why when we desperately want to think of one thing do we invariably think of another?

Why bother? That’s a question the whole human race isn’t it?

You should totally read this book! Peace out!

Katherine

3 comments:

Jimmy said...

Do you remember when your cousin (Aaron) came to choir, I think it was our Junior year, and tried to convince us to join that summer choir thing while talking about how awesome it is with the stage called "the oven" and the gallons of febreeze we'd have to douse ourselves in to be able to handle our clothing odor?

All I'm saying is... convincing people to do (including reading) things must run in your family.

Shelle said...

sounds like a really neat book :) ... if i ever get around to reading over break, i'll have to keep that one in mind.

Katherine said...

Jimmy, do you remember when I totally ignored what you were saying because it didn't make any sense? Oh wait...it just happened. Heehee ;)