Monday, September 25, 2006

Find a penny, pick it up...

I've never been a really lucky person. I don't win lottery tickets, I don't find four leaf clovers, and I have never found the gold after a rainbow (supid leprechauns...too fast for me...). In fact, I'm not even sure if I believe in luck. Isn't luck just another superstition to believe in, and I certainly don't believe in superstitions, so why should I believe in luck? I don't believe that if I break a mirror or walk under a ladder I'm going to have bad luck for seven years, and I don't believe that knocking on wood actually does anything to help, nor crossing your fingers, and I certainly don't believe that if I don't send a forward that I'm going to be ugly for the next ten years. What's with that?! It doesn't even make sense!

But you see, the thing is...that I still knock on wood and cross my fingers for luck, I still don't go around trying to break mirrors or walking under ladders. I avoid them if at all possible. I still play lottery tickets if I'm given one, and I still do my fair share of looking for four leaf clovers every now and then. I still act like I can make my own luck and that superstitions are real (with the exception of forwards...I don't usually do forwards). I know that superstitions and luck aren't real, but that doesn't stop me from acting like they are. It's not that I am actually afraid of having bad luck, it's just that the little girl inside me wishes it would make me lucky. Just like how a part of me still wants to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny.

So, I imagine you're wondering why I wrote this little diddy about luck and superstitions. Here's the thing...I found a penny on the floor today while walking to class. What's the big deal you're wondering? Well, last Saturday night I found a penny on the floor of the restaurant we ate at. Still not intrigued? Last Friday I found a penny on the ground while walking back from class. That's three pennies in less than a week! In fact, it's three pennies in four days! Is that not crazy?! Marissa doesn't think so, she pretty much blew it off. But I think it's awesome!

Maybe it means something! Maybe it means things are finally looking up. Maybe it means I am going to stop procrastinating and start being productive! Maybe it means that I am going to make lots of new friends and have more fun at college. Maybe it means that I am going to gain some control and stop eating so much bad junk food! Or maybe it means that someone dropped a penny and I just so happened to find it...who knows...and who cares anyway?! All I know is, I found three pennies and I am feeling good. Does it really matter if it's luck?

Things are looking up :)
Katherine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never considered myself lucky either, but just today i found two pennies in a row!

I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the man in front of me, though. He must have been having a pretty bad day because he didn't seem to realize his change was falling out of his pocket...

I ended up returning his change, but it just goes to show how fickle luck is. There i was finding pennies on the ground when all i wanted was a good pencil. Why did i have to leave my trapper keeper at home?

Katherine said...

Patrick, sometimes I forget how funny you are. lol. How nice of you to return that man's 2 cents. He may need it someday.