Saturday, September 09, 2006

I can only blame myself...

I was really excited about my Creative Writing class because I love to write! One of the assignments for the class is to write 12-15 minutes in a journal every day, which I have really come to love doing. It's nice to just sit and write about whatever you want. The only bad thing is that we're supposed to do it right after we wake up before we talk to anyone or have a chance to read anything. This presents a problem for me because I usually have nothing on my mind to write about except for sleep (since I just woke up). Therefore, I often opt to write later in the day so I have something to say...this is also probably because I don't like waking up extra early in the morning to do schoolwork...

Another assignment for the class is to read and write poetry. Now, don't get me wrong I can enjoy some good poetry every now and then. In fact, I even have some favorites: Annabel Lee by Edgar Allen Poe and Nothing Gold Can Stay by Robert Frost come to mind. But you know what, I'm not the type of person who can sit down, read, and understand poetry. I'm just not that kind of person. The following is an exerpt from one of my journal entries about how much I don't really enjoy poetry (which might not have been a good idea considering there is a slight chance the professor might read it sooner or later...)

"I just really don't like reading poetry poetry and tyring to analyze what it's really about. If the author really wanted us to get it then why couldn't they just say what they meant instead of using all this symbolic metaphorical language? I don't get what they're saying half the time and when I do have an idea I'm usually wrong. That's another thing that irks me about poetry. Who's to say that my interpretation of a poem is wrong and yours is right? How do you know? Unless the meaning of the poem comes directly from the author's mouth who's to say that one idea is more accurate than another? I say that the only person who really understands a poem is the author and the rest of us should leave it alone.
Now about writing poetry...Well, quite frankly I just hate it. I'm not a poet. I don't know how to be original and metaphorical. I don't pretend to know how. If I write a poem it's going to be cut and dry, easy to understand. I am not a poet! I hate being forced to write poetry because I know I suck and what comes out on my paper is embarassing. As far as I'm concerned I'd rather paint myself blue and run around campus screaming, "I'm a smurf!" Anything to avoid writing poetry!
But alas, I am a college student and I am in a Creative Writing class that I voluntarily signed up for. I have to write poetry. My grade depends on it. Therefore, Mr. Steven P. Lansky, I will read your poetry, and I will write your poetry, but I will not like it, and I will not be good at it!"

And now...after that arguably long introduction...my first attempt at poetry...

Reckless Driving
The days go by like cars on a highway
No time to notice the scenes we drive by
Taking advantage of life has become so cliché
Our avoidance of blessings we casually deny

If only we could add a few stop lights to the road
Or maybe some stop signs at the least
But what difference would it make if this gift we bestow?
Our oblivion would stay, for it’s our hearts that need released

We must roll down the window; smell the green of the earth
Slow down to study the blur of the faces
For a new way of life we must force a rebirth
A way to get back into God’s gentle graces

What more can I say to express what I’m feeling –
We all have lives, but is anyone living?


I hate poetry and it hates me back!

Hating school, but loving life :)
Katherine

No comments: