Tuesday, March 28, 2006

My name is Katherine, thank you

Growing up I hadn't given my name much thought. Katherine is a long name, but I didn't seem to have trouble learning to spell it or anything. I even managed to write it all out on the plate I made in kindergarten, whereas Marissa couldn't even manage her name (she wrote Ann, her middle name). In third grade Mrs. Hobson gave me the nickname Katie Did and it stuck for a while, but not too long. For the most part I've gone by Katherine all (almost) 19 years of my life. It is a pretty name. I found out in Epcot when I went to Disney World with my family that it means "pure." I think that fits me well, don't you?

In high school I sometimes felt like I didn't like the name Katherine because it was so plain, especially when put with my last name...I mean, come on. Katherine Lunt. How much more plainer and boring can you get? (No offense to my dad or other relatives who are the cause of my last name) I thought about trying to be called Katie, but I was informed that Katie didn't fit me, specifically by Marissa...And I've always loved the name Kate, but I don't even think I look like a Kate. Lucky for me once my brother and his fiance get married, there will be a Kate Lunt. (Actually her name is Kathryn, so until I get married there will be two Katherine/Kathryn Lunts.

So coming from Loudonville I grew to appreciate the name Katherine because it was unique. Nobody else was called Katherine. There may have been some other girls named Katherine, but they all went by Katie or other variation. But once I got to college I was shocked that Katherines are overpopulated. Just walking down Twila's corridor my first week I passed one door after another, and saw at least 8 Katherines, two in one room. Even in my corridor there are three Katherines. That is just crazy! Now I've gone from feeling unique to feeling just like everyone else...it's sad really.

So I bet you're wondering what the point of this rant is...Well, first of all, the too many Katherines at Miami has been bugging me for a while, but also, today in class this one kid kept calling my Kathy. I didn't correct him because I didn't want to be rude. I mean, how bad would he feel if I was like, "It's Katherine!" I am an accepting and obliging person. If you want to call me something other than Katherine, by all means call me Kevin or Kat. Lots of people I know call me Kevin (long story) and my cousin, Brittany, has been calling me Kat for a while now. It's cool. I like it. If you want to call me Kate or Katie I will probably even let you, even though you may be the only one. So the point of the rant? Please, please, don't call me Kathy, especially if you want me to respond. It will make me go into a four paragraph rant about my name, and plus I really just hate that name (no offense to those with the name Kathy...). That is all. Thank you.

Peace out!

Katherine
or Kevin
or Kat
But NOT Kathy!!!

6 comments:

Shelle said...

i know exactly what you mean about feeling like your name was unique back in high school; i was the only stephanie. much like you said, it is quite different in college. for instance, my dorm has 5 floors, each with a respective RA plus one RD. of those 6 individuals, 4 are named stephanie [in fact, 2 of the girls have the same last name too, spelled identically; that's crazy!]. there are 3 girls just on my floor who share my name and some days, i just get so confused [and sometimes frustrated lol]. so rant on i say!... everybody needs to feel special :-P.

Anonymous said...

If you want to now adopt a nickname, I really kinda like Kat because it's different. Kevin obviously won't do for general use, though it's cool that some of your friends tagged you with that... Peace Out - Love, Dad

Jimmy said...

I got called Jamie today... I was a bit disappointed... but I didn't say anything.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kat :) Try the last name Lape...Not much different from Lunt ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh! and I always get called Jason for some reason. In college a teacher always called me Jason and like you I never corrected her. Well come to find out at the end of the term she had me down as being absent every day and this Jason kid, who never showed up to class as being present. Good thing I finally corrected her :)

. said...

what about your favorite nickname of all time? sweaty pie! hahahaha