Sunday, April 15, 2007

BILLY FREAKING JOEL!

Well...as most of you know, this past Friday was the BILLY FREAKING JOEL concert! I'm sure all of you are VERY jealous, so I'll let you in on some of the highlights of the AMAZING concert! :) Heehee.

We were about 40 minutes late for the concert because we had to drive all the way to Mansfield to pick up mom, then got stuck in traffic in Cleveland, then it took us about 10 minutes to find parking, then we misunderstood the valet guy's directions to the theatre and walked way out of our way. I had to shout across the street to a group of guys to ask where the place was. Let's just say we got our workout running around the streets of Cleveland. lol.

When we finally got to the place, we had missed the song My Life, but that's it. Our seats weren't too bad I suppose...we were pretty far back, but at least it wasn't the nosebleed section. I mean, we had a perfect shot of the stage...lol. The piano man sang for about an hour and half, including some of my favorite songs. The list goes as follows (though not quite in the right order...):

Vienna: He gave us a choice of three songs and this was the one people cheered for the most
The Entertainer
She’s Always A Woman: Love this song, but not quite as much as She's got a way (I was so hoping he'd sing that one...)
Allentown
Don’t Ask My Why

Movin’ Out: He dedicated this song to Imus. I think it's because he was fired and therefore had to "move out"? Haha...
Innocent Man: Actually Billy Joel stood up and started singing the song Stand By Me. Then he said, "That's not my song...but I wish it was." Haha! Then he went right into Innocent Man. It was freaking awesome!
Big Shot: Oh my gosh...he doned a backwards baseball cap and did some questionable "gangsta" hand guestures...lol
New York State of Mind
River of Dreams

Zanzibar: You know...Jack Black mentions a restaurant titled Zanzibar in the song Fuck her Gently...I wonder if it's a restaurant to Billy Joel's song...
Highway to Hell: lol...I know what you're thinking. This is not a Billy Joel song...but he let a member of his road crew come out and sing it. haha. He went by the name of "Chainsaw" and he was pretty good. lol.
You May Be Right: This would be when Marissa, Mandy, and I stood up and started dancing and rocking out. We couldn't get mom to join us...lol
We Didn’t Start the Fire: Just so you know...it is a personal goal of mine to learn ALL the lyrics to this song... :)
Still Rock and Roll To Me: After this song Billy Joel said, "Goodnight, Cleveland" and left the stage. The lights went out and everyone got out their cell phones and started waiving them to try to get him to come back out. It totally worked, thank God!
Only the Good Die Young: I LOVE THIS SONG! But oddly enough...I am the type of catholic girl that Billy Joel is singing about. haha...
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Piano Man: Of course, he always ends with this song, I'm sure. EVERYONE was singing along :)

So needless to say it was an AMAZING concert! Billy Joel sounds just as good live (if not better) than he does on his c.d.s. The money was TOTALLY worth it! Best concert I've been to! (Okay, so I've only been to one other concert...) But this one was still freaking AWESOME!

Oh, and just some random information...did you know that Billy Joel's third wife, whom he married in 2004, is a 26 year old named Katie Lee. He met her when she was a senior here at Miami University! She was his waitress at one of the restaurants uptown, 45 east! Haha...

Peace out! :)

Katherine

4 comments:

Marissa said...

what's the point of hyperlinking to all the lyrics? anywhen..this concert was sooo amazing! second fav. or mine i'd say. rolling stones still holds top spot of course. but oh my gosh..i'm still in awe of him..haha

Anonymous said...

You must not have got the memo that there were like 50 things going on in Cleveland at the same time. Christina Aguilera was in town at the same time as Billy Joel. And I think the Tribe was playing too!

I've been to so many concerts that it is very difficult to pick which ones I like best. Oasis, Coldplay, Richard Ashcroft, Skillet, ThirdDay, NewsBoys, Jars of Clay, Kutless, Benjamin Gate, Pillar, Sanctus Real, Boys II Men, Next, Joe, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Korn, Papa Roach, No Doubt, Weezer, Reliant K, Cool Hand Luke, and so many more...

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I heard on the radio this morning that the sound went out on the third song, but good old Billy went back and replayed it...

Katherine said...

Wow! That is A LOT of concerts! I hope to go to many more in the future because, I mean, music is freaking awesome!

Yeah, we were a little late to the concert. I'm pretty sure the sound went out on the song right when we got there...but I belive it was the second song...it was all good though.