Friday, October 27, 2006

Blackout

Even though I was slightly afraid of the dark when I was younger I used to like it when the electricity went out, I still do. I remember one time the whole family was at my grandparent's house and the grandchildren played hide and go seek in the dark in the basement. I can also recall my dad and mom teaching Patrick, Marissa, and I how to play BS in their bedroom with only my dad's battery work light to see what we were doing. And possibly my favorite memory of the electricity going out was when I learned how to play Hearts by candlelight. It was my dad, mom, Patrick, and I all sitting at the kitchen counter, and I beat them all my very first game.

So like I said, I enjoy when the electricity unexpectedly goes out just as much as the next person, but when I'm at college trying to study for a huge Physical Science exam and the electricity goes out my feelings have a tendency to change. There I was sitting at my desk at 7:45 p.m. reading my text book, trying really hard to actually understand waves and motion when all of a sudden the room went dark. For some odd reason my laptop and internet was still working fine. I discovered this last year, yet I still don't understand how...So thankfully, I still had one battery operated light that I keep by my bed on the top bunk. Determined to keep studying, I used this little light to continue reading...for a few minutes.

After my internet went out, I couldn't get a hold of Marissa who was at the theater, so I went out into the hall and tried to get some information. Apparently it was all out over the county and they weren't sure how long it would take to turn back on. While trying to figure out what to do some people were screaming at the window. There were some streakers outside running around the quad. I ran up to the window to catch a glimpse of the naked guys (No, not really. I didn't care, I was too worried about my exam). Still determined to study, I went to the Goggin Ice Arena with a couple of girls from my hall, and we studied there because it was lit with a generator. While there we found out that a semi had hit a transformer and the electricity was indeed out all over the county. The electricity came back on and then off again a couple of times before we had to leave when the building closed, but when we came back to the dorm it was still out.

As I continued to freak out about my huge exam that I already wasn't ready for before the electricity went out Marissa and I kept working on some homework in the hallway, having only the dim emergency lights to see with. Just as the noise in the hallway was becoming too unbearable to concentrate with the electric came back on. It had been out for about three hours, but felt like much longer. It was only eleven o'clock when I started to study in my room, but it felt like it was already 4 a.m. Usually I stay up all night studying for Physical Science exams, but for possibly the first time in my life I decided to screw it and give up. Feeling very unprepared I went to bed at 3 a.m. and got four hours of sleep.

During my 8 a.m. class instead of paying attention I frantically did some more studying, and as I read through my notes I realized that I might actually understand this stuff. I actually felt like I understood the material better than previous exams where I had spent much more time studying. So I went to class all ready to get the exam over with, and go figure, there was a sign on the door of the classroom: Exam Monday, class cancelled. Great, just my luck! All the time the electric was out I was praying that the exam would be cancelled, then when I actually spent the time studying and was ready for it, it was postponed. Now I have to study over the weekend. Just my luck!

So needless to say I wasted a perfectly good blackout studying and worrying about my exam. That freaking sucks!

I could have been streaking! :)
Ha ha...

Katherine

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed
Nothin' seems to fit
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

So I just did me some talkin' to the sun
And I said I didn't like the way he got things done
Sleepin' on the job
Those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin'

But there's one thing I know
The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me
It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me

Anonymous said...

Board games are fun when the electricity goes out! Light a couple candles or flashlights and you are good to go. The last blackout a friend and I put batteries in the radio and flashlights, busted out RISK, and stayed up all night eating snacks. It was a blast. Sorry you had to waste yours on study