Thursday, October 26, 2006

Play that Funky Music

Are you ever in a mood to listen to music, but you don't know what exactly it is you're in the mood to listen to? As I sat down to straighten my hair today I was in this exact predicament. So I decided to do something crazy...yes...I put every single song on my laptop on my playlist and put it on shuffle. The magic number, you ask? 2130 songs. I don't know if this is a lot or not many or average for a laptop, but it's how many I have. So far I am on number 33, You're Still the One by Shania Twain. Before that it was Hey Ladies by Destiny's Child and next is Long Ride Home by Patty Griffin...whoever that is...

As I listen to all of these songs I realize that I have probably never heard about 20% of the songs I have on my laptop. That's pretty sad...I mean, if I cared enough to copy these 2130 songs from 172 c.d.s the least I could do is listen to all of them...at least once. I realize that I just keep listening to the same songs and artists over and over again. They're good songs and artists, but I shouldn't play favorites. It's not nice....but I just can't bring myself to actually listen to some of these songs. Honestly, I don't know why some of them are even on my laptop...like the White Stripes. I don't like the White Stripes, yet I have at least two of their c.d.s on here, probably because Marissa listens to them and so I put them on here thinking maybe I would like them....but I don't. They suck.

And then there's all of the oldie songs I have from the mix c.d.s we made in junior high. Songs like I'm a Barbie Girl by Aqua, Nookie by Limp Bizkit, and the Graduation Song by Vitamin C. These junior high c.d.s of course include some awful rap songs that I can't bring myself to listen to for fear that I'll hate my junior high self. It's at least a comfort to know that I didn't make a huge majority of these c.d.s, Marissa did. So thankfully it wasn't my choice which songs went onto the c.d.s. Thank goodness I can't be blamed for that awful taste in music. (That's right, Marissa! It's all your fault!)

Nonetheless, I'm really enjoying listening to all the variety of artists. Hopefully by the time I'm done listening to all the songs I'll be able to recognize certain artists, specifically all the c.d.s I copied from John....which was a lot. And of course, I haven't had a chance to listen to all of them yet. So hopefully this will be good studying, and next time John says, "Who sings this song?" I can say, "Come on, that's easy. It's Roll with the changes by REO Speedwagon." And he'll be very impressed. I must say though, that I've been doing a pretty good job with the music questions he spurs on me. Why shouldn't I? I have such a wide variety of music that I listen to. I mean, there are a lot of songs that I know that he doesn't. I bet he doesn't know who sings Fall Into Me! (Emerson Drive)

Alright, well I'd better at least be productive while I listen to all this music. Current song playing: Somebody Like You by .38 Special, one of John's songs. And next up: Not Even the Trees by Hootie and the Blowfish. What would we do without music?

Rock on! :)

Katherine

5 comments:

Marissa said...

Ok...miss "oh I am so cool because I have such good taste in music"
1. The White Stripes ROCK! Period. End of discussion.
2. I admit I had some rather interesting taste in music in Junior High, but you know what...I don't regret it. Because it's days like these when I can be proud to say that I've improved. But I'm not embarrassed to say that yes I know that Shaggy sings 'It Wasn't Me'
3. Who cares who Emerson Drive is. John doesn't. I don't. Because you know what??! Country sucks. You redneck! Go Back to Loudonville and hang out with Gretchen Wilson. (Sorry that was all a little harsh but country still sucks)
4. And you need a lot of songs on your computer...like some Neil Young, more White Stripes, The Hives, ooooooo and The Strokes..YEAH!!!
peace

Anonymous said...

Hey Katherine,

I too HATE the White Stripes! I have the same problems... I have well over 500 CD's. I used to be a CD junkie. I belonged to 4 CD clubs. And every Tuesday the new releases come out and I would put money aside in my budget to get one a week. Yeah, I had a problem :) My new addiction is listening to PodCasts.

We have a lot of local bands in Ohio who are better than what they play on the radio. Small Town Sleeper, Duff, and there are lots of others. If you know of any good Ohio bands feel free to post to the infernofest forums at infernofest.org/forum/phpBB

Later,
Josh

Anonymous said...

Friday Mourning is another good band from Ohio.

Josh

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hog the comments page, but I had a friend in College who had Aqua in his CD player all the time! And this is long after that "Barbie Girl" song was big!

Marissa,

I do like The Strokes though. Stereophonics, Keane, The Verve, Oasis are all some of my favorite bands Europe. I went to see Coldplay in concert and Richard Ashcroft from The Verve was on tour with them. It was so good.

Jimmy said...

I'VE got 2405 songs. Ha!

And I've been really hooked on the Strokes lately... they pretty much rock.