Thursday, March 01, 2007

urge (n): an involuntary, natural, or instinctive impulse

I came out of class today and it was raining...not just sprinkling, but it wasn't quite pouring. I had an umbrella in my backpack, but I didn't get it out. It's not that I was too lazy to reach back, unzip my bag, and get the thing. It's just that I didn't really feel the need. I just wanted to let myself get wet, to let the rain fall on me. And it's nothing I can explain. Sometimes I just get these sudden urges to walk in the rain...

...to get in the car and drive to nowhere in particular
...to scream at the top of my lungs
...to smile for no reason at all
...to dance!
...to practice some of my old cheerleading cheers or dances
...to kiss someone
...to just lay in bed doing nothing
...to go home
...to cry
...to skip class
...to write
...to eat chocolate
...to get on the Miami bus and ride around watching people
...to call the one person I shouldn't
...to stay up really late
...to get dressed up
...to play Donkey Kong Country
...to run
...to say something I shouldn't
...to pray
...to be happy like I used to be

Sudden urges...good or bad? Should you give in or fight with all your might? Maybe we're not supposed to think about it. Just go with the flow...Take it easy...You know, I think I finally understand that phrase. At first I wanted to punch a wall every time I heard it. Take it easy? Yeah, right. Nothing about life was easy then. But now...yeah, I think I'm okay with that. I have a sudden urge to just...take it easy.

Katherine

1 comment:

Marissa said...

usually I'd say follow your sudden urges. give into them. what's the worse that could happen? you could get a little wet. get a little lost. get a little stare. get a little tired. get a little happy. give in. it's totally worth it.