Thursday, October 06, 2005

School Sucks and here's why...

After eight weeks of college (and twelve years before that) I am convinced that school sucks. Now, for those of you who are in school or have gone to school, surely you don't need any convincing, but let me remind you nonetheless.

Reason One:
So I talked to my Mythology professor after class yesterday about the midterm this Monday. She had given us study guides with terminology and texts to know, and I had lots of questions about where to find stuff. It is important to note now that this class is pure lecture. She talks non stop for an hour and fifteen minutes while we frantically write our hands off taking notes. So in this lecture style class it is really easy to miss important terms and ideas because first off, it's Mythology, so of course you're spelling everything wrong, and because I can't write word for word what comes out of her mouth. So, as I am asking questions about the study guide she continues to make comments such as, "I've mentioned that many times in class" and "It's in the book and our lecture notes," making me feel like a complete idiot. Am I just totally missing the point of the class? Do I just not understand Mythology? Am I just stupid? It's not like I'm not trying so hard to learn and understand the material. It's not like I'm not studying my @$$ off so that I get a fairly decent grade. At least I care enough to try!

Reason Two:
Today in my Literature class we were supposed to be having a review for the midterm on Tuesday. After spending a good amount of time talking about the format and whatnot of the actual test we began to ask questions about poems and readings that we've done, but don't understand. And the professor says that he can't answer specific questions for us....? What? That's what a review is...a review of all the stuff you've learned. How are we supposed to freaking do well on the test if we're not allowed to ask questions about the material? Alright...whatever you say, Mr. I say I don't want to make it difficult for you, but I am.

Reason Three:
So we were given time in my Sociocultural Studies in Education class to go over our notes and make sure we have all the concepts and terms that will be on the test this Tuesday. And although they are only terms that need memorized, and considering I am basically a robot when it comes to school, I can easily memorize the 40 some terms. However, she mentioned that she hasn't written the test yet and is not sure if she'll get around to it this weekend. Meaning the test will most likely be on Thursday. But she still isn't sure and wants us to study like the test is Tuesday and be prepared if it is. How is that fair? Why can't she just freaking tell us when the test will be. Does she not realize that some of us have two other classes that we need to study for this weekend?

Conclusion:
Yeah, I just needed to vent. I'm sure as soon as these tests are over I'll be back to thinking school is not so bad. But until then, if you need to reach me I'll be at the Loudonville Free Street Fair this weekend, and in hell studying until wee hours of the morning. Peace out!

Katherine

1 comment:

. said...

w00t for lville fair!