Friday, February 24, 2006

What's up with that?

You're walking down the sidewalk to class or work or wherever you walk to and you pass someone you know. You smile or nod your head to acknowledge them and they say, "What's up?"

Now, I cannot criticize the phrase, "What's up?" because I myself use it from time to time. In fact, I think it's a nice greeting to someone. When I am greeted with "What's up?" and I'm in a good mood I'll even reply, "The sky!" or something of equal nonesense. But I must admit that my usual reply is "not much," as even if I'm working on homework or watching t.v. my usual attitude is that I'm bored out of my mind and don't consider what I'm doing very exciting.

So I am completely for using the phrase "What's up?" as a greeting on aol instant messenger or with someone you know you're going to stay and have a conversation with. That way when they ask, "What's up?" you can actually take the time to answer and explain why something is up or even why it's not. However, when you pass someone that you are merely acknowledging and are not actually going to stop and talk to (not that they don't want to talk to you, but they've probably got somewhere to go too) I am at a loss of how to reply to "What's up?"

The way I see it, "What's up?" has become more of a greeting like "hello" or "Good morning." It is not actually inquiring to how someone is or what's going on with them. That would be like asking, "What are you doing today?" as you pass someone. You know you're not going to change directions and chase after them just to answer their question. So what is the appropriate reply if someone you're passing says, "What's up?"

Do I say, "Not much. You?" and hope that we're both walking slow enough to get all this out before we completely pass each other?

Do I just say, "Hello" as if they were merely greeting me and not inquiring to how I was?

Do I not say anything and just nod or smile to let them know that I heard them and am not ignoring them?

What am I supposed to do?!

Katherine

P.S. If I am passing you and I say, "What's up?" I am sorry to put you in the same confusing predicament that I am in now. Heehee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're weird..I was bored just reading this entry

Katherine said...

YOU were bored? PLEASE! Regrets or lessons? What's with that?

Anonymous said...

haha touche. no but seriously..who cares why people say what's up..it's just a new saying our stupid generation created. Kind of like lol on the internet.